Monday 19 October 2020

BRAPA ..... IT'S THAT MOST WONDERFUL/DIFFICULT TIME OF THE YEAR

 


Evenin' all, just a quick note to say that the new Good Beer Guide 2021 finally reached York this morning, so I have started the arduous task of the yearly cross-ticking.


As a result, I'm prioritising it over my Hants blogs so like the best cliff-hanger ever, you'll just have to wait to see what I REALLY thought about Andover.

The new GBG is out 'officially' on 29th Oct, so for these next 10 days, I'm under CAMRA's embargo not to reveal details of what is contained within.  So any pubs I do check in on Twitter in this period, I'm asking you to believe me when I say I'm doing them either because (a) they were in the 2020 GBG or (b) they are preemptive tip-offs someone has told me about.


We are not amused.  Or are we?  Just like the year of Queen Vic's death, I've 'declared' on 1901 pubs for the 2020 Guide, and that means, I need to lose less than 158 to stop myself from going backwards (1743 was the number I declared at in 2019).  Fat chance of that, but at least we can blame that March-July period where no ticks were done.


Still, at the time of writing, I'm up to Cornwall and I've only lost 11 (6 in Berks, 4 in Cheshire, 1 in Cornwall).  I've somehow broken even in Beds, Bucks and Cambs despite hardly any visits to those counties in the last calendar year.

What else can I quickly tell you without breaking embargo?  I like the green, clashes with my green Stabilo & Colin, but I like it.  If the 2020 edition looked like a Wisden Cricketers Almanac, this is more like a dictionary of herbs from a market garden  Tasteful.

I quickly noticed it didn't feel as heavy as usual.  The number of pages has been increasing year on year, 1,060 last time but only 912 this time (lowest since 2012!), feels like they've made the effort.  So I am too, and not gonna use my Stanley knife to extract the brewery section.  It's manageable, you see.  After all, even with the help of my work colleagues and parents, it was a right botched job last year, back cover fell of, and a laminated Isle of Man suddenly meant I wouldn't be able to 'green off' any pubs there, long before Covid became a thing.

So all in all, optimism bounds.  Shame this week I have to work.  Shame I'm having to train a guy remotely whilst Working From Home.  He's pretty chilled though, so if I said "let's just take half an hour whilst I cross tick Notts & Oxon" I don't think he'd mind.  

Back to the ticking (Cumbria next up, always fun!), see you in a week or two.

Si 


15 comments:

  1. God speed you, Green ticker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And same to you, pink ticker. Glad we got our declarations done in record breaking time. Just read your 'drinking pints' blog, made me chuckle, definitely gonna behave myself re embargo, don't want the 'Discoursers' getting upset do we? :)

      Delete
    2. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

      Delete
  2. Blimey, I coulda read this one yesterday as it's:

    - short, and;

    - doesn't have much to comment on.*

    *Except for this:


    "Shame I'm having to train a guy remotely whilst Working From Home."

    Just make sure you don't 'pull' a Toobin** during the remote training. ;)

    Cheers

    ** - https://news.yahoo.com/column-price-jeffrey-toobin-pay-213547456.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And funnily enough Russ, in a bit of training down time ..... (you're worried what I'm going to say now aren't you?) .... my trainee told me this very story! 'Pulling a Toobin' is gonna become an actual phrase isn't it? :D

      Delete
  3. Yes - the 2021 GBG is smaller. Just weighed that and the 2020 Guide:

    2020 - 1.155kg
    2021 - 0.86kg

    Look upon this as a public service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top work John, knew I could rely on you for a good weigh in. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. ~10 ounces in old money - not nothing, if you're toting it round the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Clive. The brewery section still accounts for a huge portion of the GBG, probably about a third! Will I live to regret keeping it in as I'm trekking round outer Launceston next summer? We'll see!

      Delete
  5. Remember that GBG 2021 does not include any opening times - totalled over 4500 pubs this probably accounts for the fewer number of pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point, I was wondering where the shortfall was .... also seem to be fewer 'articles' at the beginning. I don't mind the lack of opening times, I sort of feel more in control!

      Delete
  6. I should read your posts more often (rather than just staring at the pics, laughing, and trying to post as myself).

    You're right about the reduced size, so nice of Mr Clarke to weigh it. I was hoping the smaller size was due to the death of all those silly homebrewers with their Archers like one-off beers but I doubt it.

    Well done on such a lightning declaration, given you "work" and don't have interns to do the cross-checking for you.

    ReplyDelete