Monday 9 September 2019

BRAPA ..... August Review and September Preview (2019)

At the beginning of August, I told myself that we needed a period of calm in the world of BRAPA.  A non controversial, quiet month of stoic pub ticking.  After all, July had been a bit insane.

What with 'Drunk in Burton', 'The Newark Station Incident' and 'The Phantom Ticker of Sidcup', I was worried I was becoming even more of a parody of myself than usual.  So yes, a call for August calm was top of the agenda.

So, how do you think that went then?!

It all started with the completion of Derbyshire, which had looked like a race against time before the new GBG was published, but ended up being comfortably achieved on the 3rd.  But nothing comfortable about that final pub experience, a vinegary Bass in a pub that'd stopped caring.  A sad end to what had probably been the most rewarding county I'd completed to date in the name of BRAPA.

....and it all looked so promising
Less than a week later, an insane night around Greenfield, Mossley and Stalybridge with Quosh, Chris Moran and Chris Dyson.  The preemptives at times better than the actual ticks.  But great company and a hazy night to 'remember'.

Quosh gets his debut BRAPA tick done.  Chris looks so proud of him.

A return to Hull City away day 'fun' saw a great day in Brentford, well (T)wickenham to be precise, and trips to the Bury and Bolton areas were equally rewarding with great pubs and folk.  Another highlight was Middleton where I got the meet 'The Tand' (or Peter as great mates like me call him), what a gent, four super pubs, JW Lees galore, and more top folk.

Peter ticks - possibly the highlight of his life so far 

But as the temperature increased and the Bank Holiday weekend drew to a close, the heat also was ramped up on BRAPA, as we went from 'Ambre Solaire' to 'I'm Ombre, So There'......

Having already upset Stalybridge's most sensitive cask-free pub (and been threatened with bum rape if I ever return!), I had even fewer reasons to be cheerful as a Burnage business owner took exception to my 'blonde lady barmaid' comment (a thoughtless description at worst on my part, but 'offensive', really?!  Never the intention!), not to mention criticism of their blue and grey colour scheme.  The Twitter pitchforks were soon pointing in my direction, first time I've witnessed this kind of thing first hand, leading to a bloody terrifying Bank Holiday Monday arvo!

BRAPA flashpoint .... little did I know then what was to follow as I blissfully ticked it off

Yes, Twitter Analytics from Yate-Boston-Harvard University in Illinois Vermont contacted me to say only Jim Davidson (no relation btw), the Brazilian President who hates rain forests and people who think pineapple on pizzas is acceptable received more Twitter hate.

Next day at work when my boss asked if 'we could have a word', I thought it was gonna be about this!  "Look, I didn't mean to objectify anybody, please don't sack me ..... ohhhhhh, you want to talk about tailoring a LIBOR business loan to set quarterly capital repayments over a monthly interest profile?  Fine!"   Paranoia had truly set in!

Thank goodness then for the GBG dropping onto my doorstep Fri 30th.  Now I could re-focus  - yes, that double-edged sword of 'cross-ticking' that pesky GBG, and on 12th Sept (official release date, end of embargo), I'll tell you exactly what the damage is! I've been through three green highlighters, two Stanley knives, a guillotine, so you can say we've been on a journey already!



39 new pub ticks and 4 preemptives I'm reckoning is a pretty decent result.  Hard to pick my faves, but Dungeon Inn,Tottington and Imperial Arms in Chislehurst  kind of stood out as quite magical.  Wonderful to get to Tandle Hill Tavern, finally, and every bit the pub I'd hoped and expected, whilst Rising Sun in Mossley was an exceptional preemptive which deserves a GBG place.

Locals hug the bar area at Dungeon Inn, Tottington

On the downside, poor quality ale blighted Hole in the Wall, Long Eaton and Millgate, Failsworth though neither were bad pubs in other ways, I found Long Pond in Eltham quite a soul destroying place on my visit, Hackney Carriage not massively better,  but the standard of August pubs (and ale) was generally above average.

September Preview 

Well, I'm a bit late with this blog so I've already had a couple of cracking trips to Mirfield in West Yorkshire, and up on Tyneside, both of which I'll write about this week, plus a special 12th Sept GBG release post.  I'll also have done a Shock Sunday London (SSL) by the time you read this.

Sun Inn, Swalwell (a long overdue tick)

Plenty to discuss on 12th Sept official GBG release date (I feel a four-parter coming on!  I can hear you groaning already)

I'll finally get the Cumbrian ball rolling next week, though I suspect it really will be just one pub as I cross a border into 'another world').

Luton is always a tough place to go and get a GBG result, but am looking forward to that with Tom and Dad on 21st, and a week later, am thinking about something ambitious, Cumbrian and overnighty, but cannot quite decide if that's a bit too ambitious!  Is Barrow a friendly place on a Friday night?

Oh, and I've just booked the BRAPA Autumnal Festival for October, was originally going to be Dorset, but with my Cumbrian need greater alphabetically, I'll be up in t'Lakes so that should be a productive time.  Having spent yesterday researching buses, trains and walks, I can say I'm champing at the bit to get stuck in to the county I've neglected for too long.

Re Friday night / after work trips, back to focusing on West Yorkshire for now, then moving onto South Yorkshire, a tiny bit of North, one in Durham before a GMR return in the spring/summer of 2020, if they'll have me!

Take care & happy pubbing,

Si


12 comments:

  1. If you're going to do Cumbria, you'll find yourself LIVING on buses, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barrow on a Friday night ? Oh yes.

    https://retiredmartin.com/2018/12/29/woken-up-on-my-birthday-by-ulverston-oiks-singing-let-it-go-underneath-my-window/

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Darci Lyne. This is a very happy day of my life thanks to the help that Dr. .nosakhare has given me to help me recover my ex-husband with his spell of love and magic. I was married for 6 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating and looking for a divorce, but when I came across Dr..nosakhare email on the internet about how he has helped so many people get their ex back and help fix the relationship and make people happy in their relationship. I explained my situation and then I sought his help, but to my greatest surprise, he told me that he would help me with my case and that I am now celebrating because my husband has totally changed for the better. He always wants to be by my side and can not do anything without my present. I am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. I will continue to testify on the Internet because Dr..nosakhare is a true spell caster. NEED HELP? CONTACT
    -Email- blackmagicsolutions95@gmail.com
    you can also add him on Whats-app: +2349083639501
    He is the only answer to your problem and makes you feel happy in your relationship. And it is also perfect in your relationship.
    you want your ex back?
    want a love spell for a new lover?
    Childless problem solution?
    Financial problem solution?
    Weak Erection & Quick Ejaculation?
    solution to sickness and diseases of the body
    All type of problem solution by astrology?
    Divorce problem solution?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a testimony that i will tell everyone to hear i have been married for
    3years and on the 4years of my marriage another woman had a spell to take my
    husband away from me and my husband left me and the kids and we have suffered
    for 1year and 6 months until i meant a post where this man Dr IYOBOR have helped
    someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my love husband home
    and believe me i just send my picture to him and that of my husband and after
    3days as he have told me i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my
    husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make
    every one of you in similar to met with this man and have your lover back to
    your self His email (iyobortemplespell@gmail.com ) or call or WhatsApp him (+2348051843752 ) he can also help on PREGNANCY SPELL get all your problem solve.
    No problem is too big for him to solve..Contact him THANKS Dr IYOBOR

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK HOME
    Ever since my husband got me divorced for the past 1 year, i v'e not been my self. I was reviewing some post of how i could get back my husband then, i saw a testimony shared by Rissag Jaden from NEW YORK about a spell caster named Dr AGBAKA. I contacted Rissag Jaden to confirm about how Dr.AGBAKA helped her and she clarified everything to me of how he helped her and that gave me the courage to get in touch with Dr AGBAKA for help. Dr AGBAKA assured me that my days of sorrows will be over within 48hours after he has finished with his work. I followed his instructions he gave to me because i had the believe, faith, hope and trust in him. Verily i say to you today that i and my husband are back together and i can proudly say and testify to the world of what Dr AGBAKA did for me. Contact him today via E-mail (Agbakaspelltemple@gmail.com) OR call him or whatsapp him +2349052647861 if you seek his help. Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES AND MORE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello I'm From Memphis Tennessee, USA I feel so joyful today because of the help Dr  Sunny has rendered to me for  getting my Husband back with his spell. I have been married for 4 years and it has been so terrible because my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i came across Dr Sunny Email, on the internet posted by a lady, i decided to get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr Sunny is truly a real spell caster. Why not contact Dr Sunny now if you are facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email { solutioncentre911@gmail.com } you can call Dr or whats app him on {+2349056393169} His Also specialize in 1) love Spell2) Pregnancy  Spell
    3) Divorce Spell
    4)  Marriage Spell
    5) Healing Spell
    6) Spell for Break
    7) Money Spell
    8.) You want to be promoted in your office
    9) you want to satisfy your lover
    contact this great man if you have a problem for a lasting solution Through Email  { solutioncentre911@gmail.com } .

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL FROM Hamisi My name is Olivia Jayden, I never thought I will smile again, My husband left me with two kids for one year, All effort to bring him back failed I thought I'm not going to see him again not until I met a lady called Jesse who told me about a spell caster called , She gave me his email address and mobile number and I contacted him and he assured me that within 48hours my husband will come back to me, In less than 48hours my husband came back started begging for forgiveness saying it is the devils work, so I'm still surprise till now about this miracle,i couldn't conceive but as soon as the spell was cast,i became pregnant and gave birth to my third child,if you need any assistance from him you can contact him via: WhatsApp or call him now: +27783477646

    ReplyDelete
  8. JOIN THE GREAT ILLUMINATI BROTHER HOOD TODAY AND LIVE A BETTER AND HAPPY LIFE. WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF RICHES,FAME AND POWERS. Are you a business,Man or woman, politician, musician,pastor,lawy er,actor,actress,ban ker, and you. want to be rich, powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the Great ILLUMINATI brother hood. With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish, if you really want to be a member of the great ILLUMINATI brother hood, Note: newly recruited members are entitled with $500,000 US Dollars , A Golden Ring, that will protect and guild you from enemies, and a free visa to the United State Of JOIN ILLUMINATI YOUR FINANCIALDIFFICULTIES ARE BROUGHT TO AN END. Please will do not share human blood.Call/Whatsapp+27783477646

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi viewers online, I'm Alfonso Vázquez from Mexico. I'm here to share my testimony about how i was helped to get my wife back. I was a cheat and my wife caught me several times. I tried fixing myself and each time i ended up cheating over and over again. I guess i didn't realise what she meant to me until she had left me alone. I began to find a way to get her back but nothing seems to work out perfectly till i came across an article about Lord Zakuza who helped a lot of people globally to get their relationships back. I made contact with him on his WhatsApp number via +1 740-573-9483 and he assured me that my wife will come back to me within 48 hours with his powerful magics and i paid 410 Euros for the materials needed for the work. Surprisingly, my wife came back home after 2 days saying that she still loves me and i swore never to cheat on her anymore. All thanks to Lord Zakuza. You can have a chat with him on his WhatsApp number via +1 740-573-9483.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Join the Great Sacred Illuminati Cult to option wealth and protection. Are you a business individual, politician, musician,footballer e.t.c? Do you want to be a famous artist or an actor and be powerful in the world? Become a member and receive the sum of $700,000.00USD, A house to live and also receive $200,000.00 monthly as membership benefit, get funded with money to start up business. This is real and no human sacrifices/soul selling so inbox me if you're interested +1(364)202-5427

    ReplyDelete